Stock is always much better if you make it yourself. Preparation time is about 10 mins, but cooking time is about 4 hours. Just plan ahead. All quantities are approximate. The first 3 steps diminishes the need to skim the scum whilst it cooks, leaving you with a fairly clear, clean tasting finished product.
500 grams of pork bones (I generally use ribs)
500 grams of lean pork meat
small handful of dried shrimp
1 teaspoon white peppercorns
splash of fish sauce
splash of vinegar (this helps release calcium from the bones)
1. Place the bones and meat in a large pot and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 mins.
2. Empty it all into a colander. Discard the liquid. Wash all the scum off the bones and meat. Wash scum out of the pot.
3. Repeat one more time.
4. Put all the ingredients into the cooking pot and cover with 2 litres of water.
5. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer very gentle for 3 and a half to 4 hours.
6. Strain and collect the liquid. Discard all solids.
7. Use immediately, keep in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze in conveniently sized portions.