This delightful dish blends melt-in-the-mouth crispy pork belly with crunchy chinese broccoli creating a flavour sensation that will have you coming back for more every time. Once you have made the crisp pork belly, it is exceptionally quick to prepare and cook. The recipe below serves 2.
2 tables spoons of oil
5 or 6 chillies, sliced lengthways
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, smashed with a cleaver
1 handful of chinese broccoli
pinch of sugar
splash of fish sauce
splash of light soy sauce
bigger splash of oyster sauce
large pinch of white pepper
2 strips of crispy pork belly per person, chopped into bit sized chunks
1. Open the windows.
2. Heat the oil in a wok until it just about starts smoking. It need to be hot to cook the dish fast and preserving the goodness, flavours and crunch.
3. Throw in the garlic and chillies. Stir fry until the start to brown just slightly.
4. Throw in the stems of the chinese broccoli. Stir, stir, stir.
5. Add the Sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce and oyster sauce. If things look a little dry, add just a couple of table spoons (not more) of water or stock.
6. Add the rest of the greens and the pepper. Keep stirring.
7. When the green have mostly wilted, taste it. It should be spicy, salty and a little sweet. If the flavour needs adjusting, do so now. Turn off the heat.
8. Throw in the pork and stir so everything is nice coated with the sauce. If you keep the heat on at this point and/or you added too much stock/water, the pork will go soggy. Don’t spoil the pork!
9. Serve immediately, over rice.