This is what comfort food is all about! The egg isn’t necessary but I love it as a finishing touch. Might be a man thing as Sandy isn’t into it. Be sure to open the windows before you start cooking, otherwise you’ll be sneezing quite a lot. This feeds 1 but can, of course, be scaled up.
1 table spoon oil
3 or 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
4 or 5 chillies, chopped finely
Chopped shallots, in a quantity slightly less than the garlic
150 grams chicken thighs or breast, minced
Splash of fish sauce
Large handful of thai (or regular) basil, chopped roughly
Pinch of white pepper
Enough rice for one
One fried egg, with a soft yolk
1. Get oil nice and hot in a wok
2. Bung in the garlic and chillies. Remember – make sure the windows are open!! Stir.
3. After about 30 seconds, add the shallots. Keep stirring and frying this for about a minute. If it starts to brown the meat need to go in immediately.
4. Add the meat. Stir. Add a splash of fish sauce and a pinch of white pepper. Hold your breath. Stir, stir.
5. Once the meat is cooked, throw in the basil and cook it, stirring all he time, until the basil has wilted.
6. Serve over the rice. Garnish with a fried egg.